Diary and notebook of whatever tech problems are irritating me at the moment.

20071212

Nautilus bookmarks and Places problems

I rely rather heavily on the bookmarks/places sidebar in Nautilus (Gnome's file manager). I have a very large archive of freeware, evaluation software, reference material, and documents files sorted by OS and application type, category, or customer project number. It takes a lot of clicking to drill down into and the bookmarks allow me to jump quickly to the directories I use the most. I also have bookmarks to SMB shares on various subnets and across a VPN. Its worked rather well but I noticed that I couldn't sort the list the way I wanted. Normally you can just click-and-drag a bookmark and drop it where you want. But when I tried it didn't work correctly and ignored the action or replaced it with a different bookmark like it lost track of which one I was moving. I decided to resolve the problem by deleting several bookmarks I thought it could be having trouble with like the SMB shares. But it still didn't work. After some searching I figured out that the bookmarks are stored in the hidden text file ~/.gtk-bookmarks which is easy to edit manually. I found several bookmarks that Nautilus was not displaying which pointed to old targets that no longer existed. I deleted them and killed and restarted Nautilus and it seems happy now. It might be a design flaw or a bug. I'll have to investigate more after I upgrade to Gutsy.

3 comments:

Wish said...

nice tip. thanks much

jhansonxi said...

I haven't noticed the problem in the last few releases. It's still useful information if you want to customize the bookmarks and deploy it to new users by sticking it in /etc/skel on Debian or Ubuntu systems.

Anonymous said...

I was having the same problem and this worked for me. Thanks

About Me

Omnifarious Implementer = I do just about everything. With my usual occupations this means anything an electrical engineer does not feel like doing including PCB design, electronic troubleshooting and repair, part sourcing, inventory control, enclosure machining, label design, PC support, network administration, plant maintenance, janitorial, etc. Non-occupational includes residential plumbing, heating, electrical, farming, automotive and small engine repair. There is plenty more but you get the idea.